Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

ubuntu 10.10

After a short period I'm returning back here. Actually I was busy about my exams and followed by my campus interviews. Now got some time. But even now I'm busy with my project. But whatever I'm here now to say I'm enjoying Ubuntu 10.10 and try to make you people happy.

A month before I downloaded it. I was somewhat away from Ubuntu after its April 09 release as I become stick with Windows 7. And another problem is that after 9.04, Ubuntu's releases never support my wireless adaptor. But now I bought my new USB modem (tata photon+). So now I came back to Ubuntu. Actually I have installed both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10in my computer.

Still it doesn't support my wireless adaptor but it supports my modem. Actually this is an added feature from its early version. In Ubuntu 10.04 there is no inbuilt configuration for tata photon. We have to do it manually. But now its become easy. Just select and go. Everything becomes easy.

As like its other versions it comes with Firefox as default browser. Its fair enough for an end user like me as well as developers like Cibin. And for email client, it still depends on Evolution mail. I wonder why it doesn't go for Thunder bird. Actually I don't like Evolution. But I don't know the reason may be it is unable to delete an account once created in GUI. Also its task management is not so well. So I installed tasque for me.

Instant messaging is done here by Empathy. It works fine. I'm using it for my Gmail and Facebook chat (Please social engineering guys, don't use this information to hack me). But to login Facebook, you have to create your username for facebook. You can create your username here. With this you can login into you facebook account through Empathy.

As usual it comes with the Open office bundle and a dictionary. But that dictionary will work only while you are connected to Internet. One important thing, if you are not connected with Internet, I won't recommend Ubuntu for you. Because, it will have only things which are purely open source. So you are not even able hear you favourite songs in mp3 format. And the accessories, sound & videos, games are same. Graphics is included with Shotwell photo manager. But still I don't work with it. So don't ask anything about it.

One special thing has to be underlined is all who installed Ubuntu 10.10 are give a free Ubuntu one account. With this account you can store your files online. You can synchronise you folder with online. Upto 2GB space is freely available. For premium accounts, additional space will be provided. 

And finally a screen shot of my desktop,

No comments:

Post a Comment